Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:40:37 +0100
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patch for quota deadlock

--Pk6IbRAofICFmK5e

Hi Kris.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:23:28AM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 02:56:01PM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Jeff has been too busy to send this patch himself, but it fixed the
> > quota deadlock that I was able to provoke on my machine.  Does it also
> > solve the issue for others?
>=20
> I've seen 0 feedback about this so far.  Since a number of people have
> reported that the quota deadlock is the only thing keeping them from
> upgrading from 5.x to 6.x, I expected a more enthusiastic testing
> response than this :-)
>=20
> Please, those of you who have reported this problem, test the patch
> and see if it works for you.  If there are further problems, we can't
> fix them in time for 6.1 unless we hear about it in the next week or
> so.

I'm a little ambivalent about it. The only machine where I could=20
actually observe the behaviour (once a week) is our main prod NFS=20
server. On the backup server there are abviously too few accesses to=20
trigger the hang.

So on one hand I se the necessity to test this, because I need quotas=20
again on the server, on the other hand this means a 10 min downtime for=20
installing a new kernel and the risk of 30 min downtime if it did not=20
help. And I can only say this after a week or so.

Anyway, I'll discuss with my colleagues and we'll see if we want to take=20
the risk.

Anyway, I remember people here, who talked about scenarios where they=20
could trigger the panic with a simple find or something in only two=20
hours. Hello, where are you? :-)

- Oliver

--=20
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |
|               Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe.               |
| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung aller enthaltenen Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |

--Pk6IbRAofICFmK5e

--Pk6IbRAofICFmK5e--