Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:19:29 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advanced DOS

Ryan Thompson wrote:

>Joshua Lokken wrote to freebsd-chat@freebsd.org:
>

>>I just had a co-worker tell me that his opinion of *NIX is that it's
>>"just advanced DOS."  I had to roll on the floor for a few minutes,
>>laughing... ;)
>>

><snip>
>
>After all, a grey C:\> on a black background doesn't look that much
>different from a grey bash$ on a black background. :-) Actually, you
>should be impressed that your co-worker made such a connection; at least
>he has some (however small) level of experience with command line
>environments.

Maybe.  However, to safeguard against such things, can't we run
some little GUI on desktop machines?  Unless you're in the
server room, why convince the world we're still living in 1985?

OK, since it's FreeBSD, maybe you *are* in the server room.

A little wm, a little root window decorated with your SO, your
company logo, your kids, your dog, some chick wrapped in
plastic*, whatever, is more "modern".  I didn't say better; you
and I know it makes little difference to us.  But you have a difficult
uphill battle to convince Johnny Q. Public of that.  Color it up a bit.
You might even make some of them curious enough to learn
more about it....

>Worse yet is when people see a prompt and go "What the hell is *that*?"

I know some of those people, I think.  What's bad about
that?  They operate computers in their workplaces...

>He has learned much since those wobbly first steps.

And _that_ is a great thing about  the BSD's....

Kevin Kinsey

*Hey, it's -chat ... I'm not advocating anything about
_that_ here, make up your own mind....