Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:39:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Romain Kang <romain@kzsu.stanford.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   memtest86 for FreeBSD boot?

Has anyone put together a version of memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/)
that can sit in the root directory next to the FreeBSD kernel?

My lab at work has a several racks of 1U boxes, most of which has
a CD-ROM or floppy installed.  If we suspect RAM problem in one of
the machines, we have to unrack the box, open it up and hook up
another drive to run memtest86.  I notice that Linux boxes that
boot with GRUB or LILO seem to use HDD-based memtest86 without
problem.  It looks like a matter of coming up with a suitable .lds
file to do the same for FreeBSD, and it's probably obvious enough
that someone has done it before...

Romain Kang                             Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain@kzsu.stanford.edu                except when indicated otherwise.