Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:24:38 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM configuration

<<On Tue, 18 Jun 1996 10:01:22 -0700, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> said:

>> Quad speed and is connected alone to the secondary IDE
>> port. The following lines are added to my kernel.

> If you have only one wd hard disk then it has to be the secondary
> (slave) device on the primary controller - it won't work otherwise! :(

This is not my experience.  I have a couple of machines that have a
twin IDE controller and a CD-ROM as the master on the second
controller, and they appear to work just fine.  (Of course, if the PC
world had had the sense to go SCSI, this whole mess would never have
happened.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.