Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:56:25 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        rdls@jezebel.demon.co.uk, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Your misconceptions about the GPL

At 08:49 PM 11/23/1999 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> >What's more, if that person makes money from a derived work, his profit
> >(if any; most software companies don't ever make money) will likewise
> >stem only from HIS improvements -- because the base functionality is
> >already available for free.
>
>Correct me if i'm wrong, but you are referring here to the BSD license,
>correct? Then what can the original author charge for?  How is the basic
>functionality 'free' if it is sold commercially?

When a product is published under *either* the GPL or the BSD license,
the market value of its functionality is set at zero because it is
available for free. The BSD license, however, allows a developer
to add improvements and attempt to market the result. Any profit
which that developer derives from doing so will be solely the result
of the functionality he has added, since the base functionality is
already available for free. Thus, he has not "taken" anything -- his
profits, if any, are the result of his own efforts.

The GPL, however, begrudges the developer even the chance to profit
from additions which are uniquely his. It thus undermines him and
threatens his livelihood.

--Brett Glass