Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 04:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/13383 sys/netinet/in.h violates C++ spec.

The following reply was made to PR bin/13383; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, n@nectar.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 07:01:46 -0400 (EDT)

 >  Though ANSI C++ may forbid such a construct, a conforming C++ compiler
 >  should accept legal ANSI C when it is specified as such (using extern
 >  "C" or whatever).

  I believe (I could be wrong) that all extern "C" does is affect
  the linkage of functions declared in the extern "C" block.  That is,
  functions declared in an extern "C" block will have a `C signature'.
  I believe that's all it means.

  It does not mean that the source within the block can violate C++ standards.

  I have a .PDF version of the C++ standard here that I can check
  later.

 	- Dave Rivers -