Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:15:58 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"]

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 03:51:35AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > When I, and anyone else not engaged in warping another's argument,
> > speak of "assault weapons" we are talking about firearms and
> > ammunitions designed for military or police use and the specific
> > purpose of injuring or killing human beings.
>
> I'm actually perfectly happy to define them as "firearms and
> ammunitions designed for citizens to defend themselves against
> military or police enforcement of tyrranies, such as taxation
> without representation by a foreign power, such as the British
> Crown".  And in my book, that means that citizens should own
> them, unless you can somehow guarantee that the government
> under which you currently live will never become corrupt or
> tyrranical.
>
> This nation (the United States) was born from armed citizens
> with as good or better weapons than their oppressors rising
> up against tyrrany.  This was less than 225 years ago, which
> is only about three times the current adult life expectances.
>
> We should be prepared to do it again, if we have to, and again,
> and to keep doing it until there are no more tyrants.

How do we know the guy leading the crowds of gun owners is not the
tyrant?

Well, in the spirit of the 1770's, I'll let you do the
fighting. Roughly a third of the people back then were
pro-Independence, another third were Loyalists, and another third
really didn't care less. Lucky for the Independence crowd, the French
showed up and the British had bigger things to worry about at the
time.

I'd probably be in that last, "careless" crowd. I wouldn't need a gun,
but the fact everybody else will be armed to the teeth... *sigh* You
want me to need one, huh? I guess maybe I do. French probably won't
come bail my ass out this time 'round.