Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 02:37:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible SERIOUS bug in open()? (Big time bug)

According to Don Lewis:
[...]
> } You need to be able to open something with just "x" access to map
> } it so that a proces you own can "run" it.  So you also want to
> } allow an open if you have execute access.
>
> I don't think administrators who remove "r" access to keep users
> from copying executables would like this, since the users could
> just switch to a copying program that uses mmap.
>
> I think it would be better to add a kernel hook so that the emulator
> could be registered as an interpreter for foreign binaries.  The
> kernel could then open an fd and pass it to the emulator when the
> binary is execed.  Something similar would allow you to remove the
> "r" permissions from shell scripts.

Er... Either you make the emulator a kernel module, in which case it would
be able to do anything, or you allow for an "emulator hook". So, I just
write myself a nice little util that hooks into that hook, gets the binary,
and dumps the whole file to disk with 755 permissions wherever I want. No?
Doesn't seem very effective. Possibly you could need to be root, and the
emulator could be setuid. Then, maybe...

  /Mikael