Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 22:52:52 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0.5R hanging inexplicably...

> > The ET4000 (and particularly the W32 variants) XFree server is _very_fragil
> e_.
> >
> > The cards themselves are no great shakes, and the behaviour of the server
> > leads me to _strongly_ discourage people from using them. (Especially given
> > how cheap S3-based cards are these days).
>
> The et4000/w32p server has been rock solid under Linux for over a year...
> just a data point...

     It would be interesting to see if the people who are having
problems with ET4000/W32p-based video cards are using syscons or pcvt.
There have been a few posts recently regarding the "better robustness"
of pcvt (vs syscons), and I just recently found a "bug" in syscons that
was causing all my syscons fonts to be corrupted (after using
X-Windows).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.