Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 10:04:06 +1100 (EST)
From:      proff@suburbia.net
To:        hsu@clinet.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a cleanwall

> Is there anything which ipfw does but bpf does not, other than better
> performance ?
>
> How much more bpf consumes cpu than ipfw, per packet filtered, per rule ?
>
> --
> Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND, hsu@clinet.fi
> mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-9-43542270 fax -4555276

The two are not really compariable. If I was going to write a packet
filtering system from scratch, I'd take most of Darren's code and add:

	query optimisation and grammer from libpcap
	fast masking from RMON
	my socket credential code

Bpf primarily exists to cut down kernel<->user space talk, and I
don't think it is useful elsewhere, except as a slow portable
low-level substrate. Some RMON (one?) system(s) have support for
bpf code, but except for ip/tcp options and quantitative decisions,
fast masks work very well.

Cheers,
Julian <proff@iq.org>