Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2020 21:26:20 -0300
From:      Mario Olofo <mario.olofo@gmail.com>
To:        George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD on M.2 SSD
References:  <CAP4Gn9DFAoQtq6NP4hZ-Jq=ddnhp7Bzc_X%2BSce2FPVWn6kjASg@mail.gmail.com> <202002250115.01P1F9KX090465@mail.karels.net> <CAP4Gn9CqCSk5Lof_-05j1S0EWmTdB_HRfOe5zVig5khf7wJ0ow@mail.gmail.com> <188F34DA-192C-4D44-96B5-18A7DAE8EC67@digsys.bg> <6028c786-8610-01d9-818e-6f69a2fe9645@ingresso.co.uk> <20200225145346.GA42880@phouka1.phouka.net> <6e329bb8-b96e-fa16-cc73-426685593943@denninger.net> <CAP4Gn9D1==FR8S4O3jJbLXwNEYqffL2L_uhK8yHD2xBzJGemqQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAP4Gn9CqNpyz1S8QfDjm0vwhSVmjYMtk5Rt0Q3fZ=P_7nVMSSA@mail.gmail.com> <CAP4Gn9A=%2BdDxjMiNm-JqdHCRA=x7SgpHiNdzFm=BaPHoH3ByBg@mail.gmail.com> <CAKr6gn1naC73FwG%2BMqW6=6UkDoD4y5MoAAZ9LUNtLDPAFZbdmQ@mail.gmail.com>

Hybrid HDD are the norm for notebooks, that is, 1TB hard drive with 16GB of
SSD internal memory for fast writes and hot data (most used pages).
In my case, the notebook came with a ST1000LX015, but the problem happened
on the SSD, not on this HDD.
The SSD is a WD Green m.2, Rebecca already posted a link to the model:
https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-green-sata-ssd#=
WDS480G2G0B

Mario

Em ter., 25 de fev. de 2020 =C3=A0s 21:12, George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.=
org>
escreveu:

> you said "hybrid HDD"
>
> is this possibly about write-back vs write-through cache integrity and
> some confusion in a driver over what is committed back in disk, and
> what is not?
>
> this feels like a very nasty corner case. Could you be explicit about
> versions and vendors?
>
> I am asking for selfish reasons: I have a lot of dependencies in a
> large SSD backed ZFS postgres server on Dell, and I am about to commit
> to a lenovo X1 Carbon 7/8th gen which would be SSD and almost
> certainly was intended to be ZFS-SSD in FreeBSD.
>
> -George
>
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 9:22 AM Mario Olofo <mario.olofo@gmail.com> wrote=
:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I reinstalled FreeBSD 12.1 on my SSD (in the swap partition of my Linux
> > test) and on my Hybrid HDD.
> >
> > Just configured rc.conf to start my wifi dongle, downoaded git, node an=
> > npm via pkg and... as you can see in my screenshot,
> > the ZFS already shows corrupted data...
> >
> > Can't been able to load the FreeBSD from the HDD though, don't know why=
,
> if
> > someone knows how to load the
> > kernel from the HDD via loader on SSD or grub2, I can try =3D)
> >
> > Mario
> >
> > Em ter., 25 de fev. de 2020 =C3=A0s 20:18, Mario Olofo <mario.olofo@gma=
il.com

> > escreveu:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I reinstalled FreeBSD 12.1 on my SSD (in the swap partition of my
> Linux to
> > > test) and on my Hybrid HDD.
> > >
> > > Just configured and rc.conf to start my wifi dongle, downoaded git,
> node
> > > and npm via pkg and... as you can see in my screenshot,
> > > the ZFS already shows corrupted data...
> > >
> > > Can't been able to load the FreeBSD from the HDD though, don't know
> why,
> > > if someone direct me how to load the
> > > kernel from the HDD via loader or grub2, I'll try =3D)
> > >
> > > Em ter., 25 de fev. de 2020 =C3=A0s 18:56, Mario Olofo <
> mario.olofo@gmail.com>

> Linux

> node

> why,