Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 21:32:20 -0400
From:      Bryan Batten <BryanBatten@compuserve.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.2 Won't Boot

Hi Doug,

More on whether or not System Commander can overcome the 500MB limitation:
I should have RTFM. Page 9 of the manual states flatly that "System
Commander supports drives up to 8.1 GB in size, ...". In fact, I boot Linux
from exactly the same location on my second EIDE drive with no problems.

What I eventually did was to de- install System Commander, then install
FreeBSD yet again, this time using the "Install MBR" option ... and it
worked! I could boot FreeBSD. However, when I re- installed System
Commander and tried to boot my newly installed FreeBSD using that, I was
once again back to the "No bootable partition" message.

Now, System Commander does have a bad habit of ****ing around with the
System Indicator byte in partition table entries (it loves to set bit 4) -
but that doesn't seem to bother any other OS I'm running - Linux, OS/2
Warp, MSDOS, and, yes, even SCO once I overcame its gratuitous
reorganization of the partition table.

One option would be just to use "Booteasy"; but the problem there is that
two of these OSes boot from my second drive, and Booteasy only shows me
options for my first drive.

System Commander also provides a "Boot through MBR" option in which a file
containing MBR data is read into memory, and control transfers to that. I
had saved the MBR containing "Booteasy" and tried that. Sure enough, I
could select it from System Commander's menu, and FreeBSD would boot.
However, on rebooting, SC was out of the picture, and I was once again back
to Booteasy. This indicates that somehow the MBR was overwritten in the
proces of booting up FreeBSD. Trying to recover from that left my first
drive unaccessable until trusty Linux was brought into play from a floppy
to repair the damage. So it'll be a while before I do that again.

I guess what's really confusing me now is why boot code for a particular
partition should care what's in the MBR? Whatever is in the MBR obviously
has run, located the partition boot sector, loaded that, and transferred
control to it. Could it be that "Booteasy" is a little too paranoid? Less
checking and validation might improve interoperability - IMHO.

At any rate, the FreeBSD boot procedure has me stumped. Is source code
available for "Booteasy"? Perhaps being able to see what is actually going
on might help me to resolve matters. Looks like I also need to browse
through V Communications info to see if they say anything about FreeBSD,
and Free BSD info to see what I can resolve, there.

In the meantime, thanks for your interest in my problem.

Bryan