Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:03:38 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Skouby <gskouby@ns0.sitesnow.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum RAID-5 again

On Monday,  1 November 1999 at  1:11:19 -0500, Greg Skouby wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I got this sample RAID-5 config off of lemis.com/vinum and it
> seems over simplified to the point where I don't think I understand it. If
> at any time in this message you think I need to go back and RTFM please
> stop reading and let me know that. This is the sample config for RAID-5
> that I am referring to:
>
> drive e device /dev/da6h
> volume raid5
>   plex org raid5 512k
>     sd length 128m drive a
>     sd length 128m drive b
>     sd length 128m drive c
>     sd length 128m drive d
>     sd length 128m drive e

OK, what you have here is a partial config, probably from the section
which explains that we're building up on existing configs.  You're
missing the definitions for drives a to d, which were in earlier
examples.

> I have a couple of questions about this. Is this config only slicing up
> one drive?

No, it's slicing 5 drives.

> That is what I gather from the config but the theory behind RAID-5
> is that you need at least 3 for there to be a point in using RAID-5.

Correct.

> So one of my many questions is that where do the drive a, drive b,
> drive c, drive d, and drive e 's come from? Are there seperated
> statements for those devices like there is for the drive e? Something such
> as  drive a devide /dev/da0h?

When starting from scratch, the complete config file might be:

  drive a device /dev/da2h
  drive b device /dev/da3h
  drive c device /dev/da4h
  drive d device /dev/da5h
  drive e device /dev/da6h
  volume raid5
    plex org raid5 512k
      sd length 128m drive a
      sd length 128m drive b
      sd length 128m drive c
      sd length 128m drive d
      sd length 128m drive e

> I guess I am just confused. Let me hit you up with the scenario that I am
> trying to use RAID-5 in. I have 4 external seagate drives of 23gigs each.
> I want to use those 4 drives in a RAID-5 array. They are da0 through da3.
> The drive where the OS sits is da4. I am wondering what I need to do to
> get RAID-5 running across those four drives. Thanks for all of your help.
> I appreciated it.

Just change the numbers and remove a drive (since you only have 4
available):

  drive a device /dev/da0h
  drive b device /dev/da1h
  drive c device /dev/da2h