Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 08:37:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@cksoft.de>
To:        <Master589095296@aol.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem with 100mbit lan running <16KB/sec file xfers

Hi,

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 Master589095296@aol.com wrote:

> I am having a problem with FreeBSD4.4-STABLE-10.29.2001 network performance.
> I am using Netgear FA-312 network adapters in all machines with a NDC
> Communications NSH510 5 port switch.  Three machines are running FreeBSD.
> All FreeBSD machines are running the same version.  There are two Windows
> computers running Win98SE.  All network connections are 100mbit full-duplex
> as stated by ifconfig and windows and the switch.
>
> Problem:  FTP or NFS file transfers between any of the three FBSD machines
> with file sizes say >60KB, the connection slows to a crawl and stops.  FTP
> file transfers between the Win98 machines and FBSD machines have the same
> problem.  But, using file transfers between the two Win98 machines, file
> transfer throughput is in the 10-12 MegaByte/sec range.  Note that I did not
> start having this problem before I upgraded the FBSD machines to 4.4-STABLE
> from 4.2STABLE.  I have submitted a bug report to GNATS, but it was closed
> stating that it is a config problem between the NICs and the switch on my
> end.  How can it be a config problem on my end when the only thing that has
> changed is the software load on the FBSD machines?  Also, if the config
> theory is true, then how does one account for the fact that the Windows
> machines don't have this problem?  I have even rotated cables and ports and
> the problem stays with the three FBSD machines.  The only fix that I have
> found so far is to set the network adapters to half-duplex mode.  Any
> suggestions before I resubmit a GNATS problem report?

even though you think that all ports are running 100 full-duplex this
might perhaps not be the case.   Why not give it a try and set the freebsd
machines to 100/half duplex and recheck on the performance.

What you describe sounds very much like a duplex negotiation issue.

If you want to rule out the switch as the issue connect two machines with
a crossover cable for testing and manually force full-duplex using ifconfig.

I don't think a problem report will do you any good at the moment.

Greeting
Christian

--
CK Software GmbH i.G.
Christian Kratzer,		Schwarzwaldstr. 31, 71131 Jettingen