Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 19:38:19 +1000
From:      Joel Sutton <suttonj@interconnect.com.au>
To:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about version numbers for my xgs emulator port

Satoshi,

>  * The xgs release comes in two packages. First is a stable release, which is
>  * version 0.40 (currently in the ports collection) and the second is 0.48,
>  * which is a test release.  According to my interpretation of the
>  * "ports instructions" in the handbook, we should have two separate
>  * ports here. But what directory names should I give them??
>
> That depends on which way you want to merge later.
> If you think 0.40 is worth keeping around even after 0.48 becomes
> stable, then the new one should be called "xgs048" (no need for "b").
> I will have to make a repository copy of xgs -> xgs048 first, and
> someone can commit the new version on top of xgs048.

Once the next stable version is released then it would probably be best
to upgrade 0.40 to that version. Keeping 0.40 shouldn't be necessary
I think.

> If you think of it as just a "test release", and intend to keep only
> one stable version (i.e., only one xgs after 0.48 becomes stable),
> create a directory called "xgs-beta" or something.  When it becomes
> stable, the bits will then be merged to the main xgs port and xgs-beta
> will be deleted.  No repository copy necessary here, so any committer
> can create the new directory without my permission.

The trend that the xgs follows is that several test releases come
out, and then a stable. Then more test releases etc. So we could have
both xgs and xgs-beta - both being updated as required.

Quick summary:
- "xgs" will be the stable release
- "xgs-beta" will be the test release which gets frequently upgraded.
- I'll update each one, when necessary, via send-pr and patches etc.

> Does that answer your question?

I think so. If I'm going in the wrong direction please yell, otherwise
I'll go as outlined above. ok?

Thanks, Joel...
PS: Thanks to Thomas Gellekum for his reply also.