Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:10:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Tom Hukins <tom@eborcom.com>
Cc:        Michael <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PLIST verification script?

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Tom Hukins wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 02:47:30PM -0800, Michael wrote:
> > Hi, I was wondering if someone had written a script to verify that everything
> > a port installs was mentioned in the pkg/PLIST file or possibly even helped
> > to create/update that file.  Maybe this could be added to a future version
> > of portlint?
>
> I don't think there is a tool which does this. I've thrown some
> ideas together in PR docs/9375 as a patch to the Handbook which you
> might find useful.
>
> My patch, and OpenBSD's "plist" target in its bsd.port.mk, might be
> a useful starting point for anyone wanting to write such a script.

I think, in order to do this, you have to have enough room for a
chroot'ed environment.  I usually just capture the entire listing of the
port's install run, and (comparing it against the port's makefile to
catch stuff that had "@" inserted in front of it) do a careful
comparison.  I've never been caught out yet, although it takes a while
for some huge ports.

> Regards,
> Tom

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).