Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:27:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Merger Announcement

This merger is bringing together the old CSRG and the
new hackers interested in the liberal use of the BSD
code. BSDI is the kind of company that cab takes by
the hand through POSIX and C2 certifications and
shoulder to shoulder with the big players. I don't
think the NetBSD and OpenBSD people would want to be
left out of this elite.

Even if they this is not attractive enough, once
FreeBSD is multiplatform (I mean SPARC, PowerPC and
ARM), and with the crypto restrictions gone, there
would seem to be no real need for additional projects
(just IMHO).

Having all the BSD groups working together would be
advantageous for everyone (less duplicate work), and
the new codebase could really benefit from the
experience the other BSDs have on other platforms.

Yes, there would be lots of discussions (what to do
with UVM and RAIDframe for example) but one thing we
will have to understand is that the new code will not
be what we used to know as FreeBSD, but a new and
superior project, the new standard for BSD systems.

I must admit, I don't see a unified BSD occurring
soon, but you can bet the FreeBSD CVS tree will be
closely watched by many eyes when the BSDI merger
starts, and once we are really multiplatform, it's
only natural that we will start "learning" from the
other BSDs.

My 0.02 $

     Pedro.

--- Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be> wrote:
> At 11:17 AM -0500 2000/3/10, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
>
> >                                           I'd
> imagine that there would be a
> >  high degree of sharing but in the beginning we
> want to avoid taking the
> >  position of 'dictator'.
>
> 	Right, and by splitting it off as a separate
> project, we get a
> chance to side-step most of the political problems.
>
> 	Like I said, these guys aren't so dumb.

=====
---
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve ! http://www.FreeBSD.org