Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:18:46 -0500
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, David Xu <davidx@viasoft.com.cn>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch sets to date and timing tests with Giant out of userret.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 04:12:48PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> writes:
> > It has good points and bad points
> > the bad point is that you can't work offline.
> > the good point is that development in different branches doesn't
> > slow each other down. (as it might in CVS).
> > It also keeps track of edits that touch multiple files as a unit.
>
> I'm working on porting the latest beta release of Subversion, which

i've got a port of subversion committed in the subversion tree, and
the latest working version of it is always available at
http://electricjellyfish.net/subversion.tar.gz.

it's a little out of date now, but i will be updating it to the next
release as soon as it is released (this week sometime) and submitting
it back to freebsd for inclusion in the ports tree.  previous versions
were not submitted back because it was felt that they weren't ready
for a large audience.

> does all that and more, and has much better diff support than
> Perforce.  After using Perforce for my PAM work, I've come to the
> conclusion that although it's a big step forward from CVS in one
> direction (change management & branching), it's a big step backward in
> almost every other direction.
>
> See http://www.tigris.org/files/documents/15/48/svn-design.html for
> details about the Subversion design.
>
> (in order to make a proper Subversion port, though, we need a port of
> the Apache Runtime - my port currently builds APR as part of the SVN
> build)

as does mine :(

it's problematic to do an apr port at this time because there is no
stable release of apr, and subversion requires bleeding edge apr to
function anyway.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would