Date:      Fri, 3 Feb 1995 21:07:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ron Steele <rjs@clark.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Disk Mirrors

I recently had an experience using disk mirroring on an HP-UX machine
and thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be great if FreeBSD could do this."  The
HP was a brand new installation, and one of the mirrored drives failed
(Less than a week of use) and the application absolutely could not tell
there was a failure.  I didn't find out about it till I checked the
system console.

So, I would be interested in developing some sort of mirroring/logical
volume capability for FreeBSD.  I feel that this would lend a lot of credit
to FreeBSD as a "commercial" product, and perhaps make it a more
acceptable replacement for commercial Unix systems to people
that may be reluctant to use a freeware product.

I am an experienced C/Unix person, but have never gotten my feet wet
in the kernel, so I would need some mentoring.  Still I think I could
pull this off with a little help.

If anyone else is interested in pursuing this please email me.  Some
words of encouragement from an experienced file system person would be
especially welcome.

Ron Steele
rjs@clark.net