Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 16:25:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        j_mini@efn.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stripping the kernel

Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org> writes:

> Evan, you are absolutely right. It is Bad and Evil to read things out
> of the kernel memory. I have hated it from the start. However, look at
> the uses of the kernel tompling, and come up with an effective
> efficient way to do the same things, and I will even write it for
> you. :)

Tompling?

There are plenty of alternatives, all in use today:

	ioctl (think SIOCGIFCONF);
	sysctl
	/proc file system
	special sockets (think PF_ROUTE);
	good old poking through the kernel nlist.

Take your pick.  Or invent yet more.  Question to think about:
how many of the above can be used on kernel dump files?

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.