Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 95 10:15:06 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        hh@gate.med-edv.uni-duesseldorf.de (Dr. Olaf Holthausen)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

> If I try to mount a directory at an NFS Server, I don't get any access,
> the error message is "Permission denied". There is an entry in the
> output of mount, but df ignores it.
> On the server is an cosole message
> "NFS request from unprivileged port." and
> "nfs_server: weak authentification"
>
> The NFS-Server is an SVR4 - System.
>
> What should I do ?

Go into sysadm on the SVR4 box and turn off "secure".

Or add the option to the NFS mount line to cause it to use a reserved
(privileged -- in the range 1-1023) port.

What the option is depends on the version of the mount code you are
using (look at the man pages for mount and nfs).

What SVR4 is doing is trying to make sure root on the machine doing the
mounting is making the request instead of some hacker in a user account
using a hack-program to try and break in.  This "works" because the
only user allowed to allocate an outgoing port in the 1-1023 range is
root.

This is actually a very weak security "feature"... the root user on
a PC is whoever runs the code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---