Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 00:38:28 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org, Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
Subject:   Re: Request for comments [Fwd: bin/24695: [patch] pkg_info: prefix search for a package]

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 02:36:24PM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=24695
> >
> > What do ppl think about proposed feature? I personally think that at least
> > prefix part could be solved easily with appropriate autocompletion rule,
> > however if there is enough interest I could go on and add this feature.
>
> Well, I've always wished that pkg_info and pkg_delete could take
> regexp style wildcards as arguments.  Then you could do ``pkg_info
> emacs*'' or ``pkg_delete *gtk*'' to do the expected thing on them, and
> I think that would obey the POLA to such an extent that you wouldn't
> even need new special arguments like -P or -F.

Hmm actually this is even nicer..

But do you really mean regexp-style wildcards, or merely shell-globbing
wildcards?  If it's just shell globbing, that's much easier to do -
just an additional fnmatch() call.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks of your brain.