Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:59:53 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

> Excuse me for being daft, but isn't some of the resolution currently
> in the on-disk portion more than the time it takes to write and
> re-read the data from most media?  Are you concerned with faster
> media?  Perhaps MFS?

Depends on *when* a file is timestamped.  If the timestamp is
done after the write has been pushed to the disk and
confirmed as having written then you are right.  If it is
timestamped when a file operation has been completed and
write queued to the disk driver, it is conceivable timestamps
may be just a few hundreds of ns apart on even today's
machines.  If files are written by two different machines to
two different filesystems (but they are related in make's
eyes) their timestamps may be arbitrarily close but as I
indicated in my previous email distributed systems bring
their own set of problems which get exacerbated as you use
finer time resolution.

-- bakul