Date:      Tue, 05 Apr 2022 08:43:54 -0600
From:      freebsd-net@brettglass.com
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>, freebsd-net@brettglass.com
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Wireguard, MTUs, and jumbo packets

Interesting. That 60 byte overhead (which I understand is intended
to make the protocol connectionless) is concerning, because to send
a 1500 byte packet one needs to have enabled jumbo packets along
the entire path. Otherwise, there will be a lot of fragmentation...
which in turn will create yet more overhead.

It also means that - at the other end of the packet size range -
protocols that send many small packets (e.g. VOIP) could have
tremendous overhead - 100% or more. Even TCP ACKs become
substantial. This is a big disadvantage compared to protocols such
as L2TP and PPTP. Is there any provision in Wireguard for packet
aggregation? If not, there likely should be.

--Brett Glass