Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 11:41:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steven Wallace <swallace@eng.uci.edu>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM

On Sun, 20 Aug 1995 sos@freebsd.org wrote:

> > My ATAPI IDE CDROM is not being recognized.
> >
> > My config has:
> >
> > options         ATAPI                   #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> > controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
> > disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
> > disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1
> > device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM
> >
> > And during probe all I get is
> > wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> > and that is IT.  It just sits there for 10 seconds.
> >
> > I ONLY have an IDE CDROM drive and that is it.  No other IDE drives.
> > So the IDE CDROM is configured to be the master.  Maybe that is the reason?
>
> Ahh, thats the clue, the driver currently does not support
> "loose" cdrom's, there has to be a disk there also.
> I'm looking into this in the next couble of days..

Hmm.  Why does my machine work perfectly with no IDE drives?  I had to
tweak the source slightly to build a kernel which linked without any wd
disks configured but it works perfectly.

For what its worth, this is currently running WCD-1.2, not the one which
was just commited.  Presumably they are identical but I haven't got
around to building a new kernel yet.  The drive is a Mitsumi FX004 (I
think) and works perfectly.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411