Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:44:01 -0200 (BRDT)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@monzoon.net>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>, Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates and qmail (RE: qmail IO problems)

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Rik van Riel wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:
> >
> > Reiserfs and ext3 have write-ahead logs and, AFAIK, fsync()
> > will not return until there is a commit point in the log.
>
> Also FFS/UFS will not return before the file and directory entry
> is written to the disk.

Not relevant for the point Matt was making...

> > This means that fsync() will guarantee that the transactions
> > won't be unwound (unless I've overlooked some weird special
> > case situations where it is needed after all...).
> >
> > The only filesystems I can see being completely resilient
> > against these destructive roll-backs would be LFS and tux2.
>
> This doesnt matter. If your machine crashes while receiving a
> message you're never going to issue a SMTP 250 to the sending
> mail server and it will try again later. We don't care if this
> incomplete queue file survives or gets purged.

If you have a busy mailspool, it might just be the case that
the OS is making another write to the same directory after
your SMTP 250 has been issued.

If the machine crashes during this write and leaves the directory
in a state which cannot be recovered by fsck, the whole directory
will be purged and you'll lose your messages.

regards,

Rik
--
Linux MM bugzilla: http://linux-mm.org/bugzilla.shtml