Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:53:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils M Holm <Sunrise!nmh@dialup.nacamar.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Missing symbols in LIBC ???

Hello!

I am currently porting my compiler to the release 3.3. My RT lib depends
on /usr/lib/libc.a. When attempting to link a program, I get messages about
unresolved externals (it DOES work on release 2.x).

I have seen that the C compiler no longer generates underscores on
symbols by default and consequently, '_printf' in /usr/lib/libc.a has
become simply 'printf'. There seem to exist kind of 'compatibility
entries' for some functions, though.

However, (at least) the symbols _creat, _lseek, and _memmove are not
defined in /usr/lib/libc.a. (creat, lseek, and memove are defined.)

Is this a bug or a feature? Will underscores vanish totally in the
future? Do I have to create a workaround for the 3.x branch??

Bye,
	nmh.

--
Nils M Holm <nmh@dialup.nacamar.de>        [Please use Reply-To:]