Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:36:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        zgabor@CoDe.hu (Zahemszky Gabor)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: permissions on /dev/console

Somebody asked:
%   I am trying to arrange to see my console messages. This is 2.2.1R.
% the /dev/console is
%
% crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,   0 Jun  5 21:18 /dev/console
%
% Xterm -C never picks up anytrhing, and xconsole says it can not open
% the console. This looks like a permissions problem. What should they
% be; and who should be the owner. Whne I exit from Xwindows, I find
% all the messages on the tty screen where I logged in.

Gabor replied:
> If I remember right, you have to be the OWNER of /dev/console, to grab it
> with xconsole or xterm -C.  So man 5 fbtab (or change it with chown).

Make sure your kernel is configured with:

	options		UCONSOLE	#Allow users to grab the console

This will allow any user to grab the console, so xterm -C and xconsole
will work.