Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:03:44 +0800 (CST)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz> writes:
>Is the idea to treat _all_ busses as potentially supporting nomadic devices,
>to give maximum genericism? Is there _any_ device that needs to be treated
>as permenant?
>
>If _all_ devices are generically considered removable, does this make a
>devfs-type scheme more workable? Or were the previous issues with devfs
>different?

I see two related issues:

First, the controllers that manage removable devices may themselves be
removable, or otherwise controlled by controllers with such management
features.  Consider the pathological case of a docking station with a PCI
card slot filled with a PCMCIA controller which has USB PC-CARD connected to
a USB SCSI adapter.  Any removeable device abstraction has to recurse
elegantly.

Which brings up the second point, which is how to handle bootstrapping under
this abstraction.  I haven't had a chance to look at the new three-stage
boot, but I wonder whether it can boot a kernel image from a PC-CARD ATA
device.  I guess my question is, where exactly does one draw the line about
"no probing during boot".  Are BIOS devices forever and always a special case?
What about ROM-assisted "net-boot" and the like?

	-Michael Robinson