Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:49:01 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
Cc:        David Miller <dmiller@sparks.net>, David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump on mounted fs

In the last episode (Jul 26), Brandon D. Valentine said:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, David Miller wrote:
> >A year ago there was a problem with backing up files larger than
> >either 2GB or 4GB, I forget which.  A beta version of star would
> >handle it, but all the native versions of tar and gtar failed.
> >
> >That's often not a problem, but if you're backing up db container
> >files on big drives it's an issue.
>
> Unfortunately who knows when gtar will have this bug fixed.  Last I
> started checking around it looked suspiciously like GNU tar is
> presently maintainerless.  The 1.13 release is several /years/ old
> and 1.13.25 has been sitting on ftp://alpha.gnu.org for forever as
> well.  It's a damn shame there's no drop-in BSD licensed replacement
> (by drop-in I mean 100% compatible at the command line).

The 4gb bug was fixed back in 1.13.18 or so, probably earlier.  At
least the oldest media station server I have has 1.13.18, and I
remember installing tar from ports on all of them to fix this exact
problem.  Earlier versions of tar completely mangled incremental
archives, too.

Hmm.  There isn't anything on alpha.gnu.org.  Not even a /gnu directory
anymore.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com