Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2016 06:40:22 +0800
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Aymeric Mansoux <am-lists@bleu255.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade path from 11.0-PRERELEASE (src) to 11.0-RELEASE-p1 (binary)

On Wednesday, 12 October 2016, Aymeric Mansoux <am-lists@bleu255.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On one of my machines I have been tracking FreeBSD via stable/10.
> When the stable/11 branch was created, I started to follow it.
> Everything was fine.
>
> However, at some point I decided that I was not making anything
> significant enough to justify compiling from source and stopped `svn
> update` (at r305361, 11.0-PRERELEASE), waiting for 11.0-RELEASE
> images to be available.
>
> I naively tried to run `freebsd-update fetch` but of course
> 11.0-PRERELEASE is unknown at update.freebsd.org so nothing is fetched,
> and I'm stuck not knowing what to do next.
>
> Is there anyway I can still keep my current system and upgrade to the
> pre-compiled 11.0-RELEASE-p1 without going through a full installation?
>
> Thanks!
> a.
> --
> https://bleu255.com/~aymeric

You could do a source based update to 11-RELEASE. It would avoid a full
install.

However, you might find it quicker to backup and then do a new binary
install. If you use ZFS boot environments, you could just install the new
11-RELEASE into a new boot environment, and recover your config files from
the old boot environment after reboot.

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods