Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 23:26:17 -0400
From:      "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+july2001@kew.com>
To:        "Kenneth W Cochran" <kwc@world.std.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated

A general question ... Why track STABLE on a inaccessible production
machine?  Seems to me you only want the STABLE Releases and the security
fixes, which are infrequent.

> - How do I install FreeBSD on such a machine?  It has a CDROM
>   drive, but is there a way to install without connecting a
>   monitor & keyboard?

You are going to need a monitor/keyboard or serial console to do a normal
install.  How does this location install Frobooz OS machine or whatever they
prefer if one can't boot the machines with a console?

(You could do a unattended install if you try hard enough with a custom CD
which blindly copied what you wanted onto disk.  Chuck the BSD Daemon help
you if it dies -- sounds like no one else can.)

Regarding installworld, you could kill by hand the processes you don't want
running to make the system  quiescent.  The thing you don't want is some
random background server trying to run a module you're in the middle of
rewriting.   Make sure your securelevel isn't too high.

I routinely install kernels in multi-user mode immediately before reboots.
Again, you just don't want something trying to load a new module as you're
rewriting it, so make the quiescent  by hand before.