Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:59:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        <ilg@Romania.EU.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIOS inits? (was RE: AIC-7895 and 20.0MB/s transfers)

In article <000001be0697$9198ef60$0395e2c1@ilg-mobile> you wrote:
>>    BTW, I just changed the Adaptec BIOS setting for the
>> maximum negotiation
>> speed to 20MB/sec, rebooted, and then changed it back to
>> 40MB/sec, and now
>> FreeBSD sees the drive okay at 40MB/sec. Strange.
>
> (not as a contribution to this thread, but more as a general issue)
>
> what do you think, is it safe to rely on BIOS inits/board-status for IO
> device settings? wouldn't it be better to completely ignore them and set
> everything at driver init time or, when necessary, at rc startup time?

In this case, we are talking about a serial eeprom.  I would not expect
the values in the eeprom to change unless the user enters SCSI-Select
again.  Unfortunately, since I do not have a serial eeprom dump with
the state of the eeprom before and after this change, I cannot determine
exactly what was wrong initially.

--
Justin