Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:30:00 -0500
From:      Toby Boudreaux <toby@barbariangroup.com>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't install FreeBSD 6.1 on DL145 G2

Hello, folks.

I recently purchased an HP Proliant DL145 G2. It has twin 80GB SATA
drives, 1GB RAM, and the most recent BIOS.

I've installed CentOS on it after trying to get the FreeBSD 6.1 amd64
disk to boot and having problems. The thing is, I really would prefer
FreeBSD on this box, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

When I boot to the full install disk (#1), all the hardware passes
the tests and the FreeBSD boot screen seems to start up. It
immediately switches to a screen full of gibberish characters, sort
of 'flying by' like a Matrix screensaver. I assume this is some sort
of panic.

I've read that I should disable ACPI in BIOS, but there is no setting
to do so. The only mention of ACPI is under the 'Hammer' menu and
won't allow me to change from 'Enabled' to 'Disabled' when I try.

I burned the mini install CD to attempt to boot from that, and it
sort of worked the first time. It took me to the boot loader screen
but everything was hung at that point.

Successive attempts to boot from the mini CD cause the same problems
as booting from the full install CD.

I know the hardware is all fine, as it runs CentOS 4.4 fine.

Is there a Proliant-specific BIOS option (or BIOS version?!?) that I
should run, is this a console problem (my display is plugged directly
into the VGA port and seems to work fine), or what?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I saw on the FreeBSD
motherboard list that the amd64 version works with the DL 145 G2, so
I'm terribly confused.

Thanks,
toby