Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:00:09 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Cc:        freebsd-platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for the PowerMac?

[Redirected to FreeBSD-platforms; only *one* mailing list at a time,
if you please!]

> a) If you feel freeBSD/PPC has nothing to offer, then why bother
>    running FreeBSD on Intel-ish chips?  There's a lot more

I think you may have missed his point.  He was simply trying to say
that there's no point in investing all the time, effort and
maintainance costs into going to another platform where we can't
really offer anything new.  We have a lot to offer on the Intel
platform and *we're already there*, which counts for one heck of a lot
when you are the one who gets to do all the work.

With the possible exception of certain strategic platforms like ALPHA,
I don't see the point in putting a lot of project resources into
non-x86 architectures.  We simply have a lot of better things we could
be doing with those resources and ALPHA itself is strategic not even
so much for what they represent as a "market" as what they do as a
test bed, helping us to weed out the 64 bit issues in our code base
well before Intel finally forces us to go in that direction with
Merced or whatever it is that they eventually come up with. :)

> c) I, for one, would be quite interested in FreeBSD/PPC (assuming
>    someone else does most of the work... :-).

But then that's the case for so many things, isn't it? :-)

					Jordan