Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:44:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Cottrell <benco@pendor.mckusick.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question on sampling and CD writers

I'm thinking of setting myself up to burn audio CDs, and I need some advice
on what hardware will work with FreeBSD. I'd much appreciate any comments
or suggestions! There are two things I'm thinking about buying right now. One
is a CD burner; I know I want to get one of those. The other is another
sound card, because I can't seem to get my GUS MAX to record at 16 bits;
but I'm still debating whether I actually want to take the plunge on that.

My priorities for the CD burner are: it needs to be able to do audio tracks,
and it needs to be well-supported, but I don't care about speed. I was
thinking of the JVC 2Xwrite/4Xread SCSI-2 burner; what are people's opinions
on that? Can it write audio tracks?

My priorities for the sound card are: Low noise, high quality for recording,
don't care about playing or MIDI. I also don't have DOS installed, so it
needs to work completely under FreeBSD. Is anything from Gravis generally
good? How about Turtle Beach? Yamaha? Or am I just better off trying harder
to get my GUS MAX working?

Any kind of feedback is *much* appreciated :-) Thanks a lot!
	~Ben