Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:40:21 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@home.com>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote logging

At 01:22 PM 2/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
>What?  Syslog?
>
>Set up a secured box, with syslogd:
>
>   loghost# syslogd -a 192.186/16
>
>Have this machine configured to write many machines' logs into
>whatever scheme you find useful for analysis.
>
>Have your other boxes have syslogd configured with something as
>simple as:
>
>   *.* @loghost
>
>There are additional steps you can take to keep syslogd immune from
>DNS outages; read the manpages.
>
>Make sure all fo your boxes are syncroninzed via NTP.
>

> > Ragnar
>
>--
>Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert            <reichert@numachi.com>

That is a good idea, however, what is to stop the enemy from killing
syslogd as his first option?  I do not think syslogd logs when it gets
killed?  So, despite the secure log host, he might not get the valuable
info he needs.  I suppose you could then start speculating a break in if
there are no more MARKs since syslogd is dead.  Even that could be
fabricated I suppose.  Ugh.  Security sure is tough to implement
fully.  Not trying to say you are wrong, just that I am curious how does
one stop this possible problem?  Have you found a way to avoid it?

-Carroll Kong