Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:23:02 +0000
From:      Marc Rogers <marcr@shady.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's vunerable?

on the subject of updating a large number of freebsd boxes...

 I just thought I would throw my twopence worth in, as while working for
a number of entirely freebsd based isps a few years ago, I had to deal
with exactly this problem.

Making world in situ on production servers is a game of russian roulette.
Most fo the time it works, but the older the starting version, the harder
it becomes. The safest way to synchronise a large number of boxes
(in my view) is to play a shell game with them. Take one clean box and
install freebsd and whatever base software you need. Then migrate the
customer data from one of your older boxes onto this new one. When you are
comfortable that the new box can replace the old one completely, shut down
the old one and bring up the interfaces on the replacement. Next take the
box you just replaced, and after backing everything up, reinstall the os.
Use this box to upgrade another. and so on.

When you get the hang of it, it becomes quite a swift process. Please ensure
that you do back everything up though, as I can guaruntee you will forget
something.

If you need any futher help, feel free to mail me.

Marc Rogers
Head of Network Operations & Security
EDC Group