Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:46:18 -0500
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@sparcmill.grauel.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Archive Anaconda Tape drive 1.35GB && Adaptec 1542CF

Jonathan M. Bresler writes:
 > Richard J Kuhns wrote:
 > >
 > > Well, based on Jonathan Bresler's report on the Anaconda at the beginning
 > > of this month, I decided to try one.
 >
 > 	guess that i should respond here ;)

Much appreciated.

 > 	do you have "SCSI_DELAY=15" in your kernel?

Actually, I changed it to 10, but it's my understanding that SCSI_DELAY
only affects the boot process.

 > > Any brilliant suggestions?  Fair warning, tho: if I get this tape drive
 > > working under the 1542, I'm liable to try it with a Buslogic 946 C next
 > > :-).
 >
 > 	arghhhhhhh.....

Now, now, take a deep breath ;-).

 > > (aha0:6:0): "ARCHIVE ANCDA 2750 28077 -003" type 1 removable SCSI 2
 >
 > 	same string as mine.  this is good!
 >
 > 	regarding the timeouts, this is a problme for my ncr card during
 > 	rewind, not while reading or writing the tape.
 >
 > 	i just tested the drive with a scsi drive on the same controller
 > 	no problems here.  nearly all of my testing and use has been
 > 	with the drives on one ncr810 and the tape on the other ncr810
 > 	(the tape shares a scsi chain wiht the cdrom and the /usr/obj
 > 	/usr/src partitions that i can recreate from cvs so i dont
 > 	back them up general)

Good news!  I just applied the most recent patches (ctm, 0064), rebuilt the
kernel, and tried again -- it seems to work just fine.  I just dumped a
total of about 400MB on 3 filesystems, with nary a hiccup.  restore claims
everything looks ok, too.  Justin, you do good work; many thanks.
--
Rich Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249