Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:03:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        sef@kithrup.com, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix/NT synchronization model (was: SMP progress?)

> >Okay, so that's an extremely short-ranged goal ;).  But I don't expect true
> >symmetric MP to be happening for quite some time yet -- there's just too
> >much that would have to be changed.  (Locks around nearly every structure
> >reference in the kernel, for example.)
>
>    What do you mean by "true symmetric MP"? The current stuff is "true SMP".
> Just because it is coarse-grained, doesn't mean it isn't SMP.

I was under the impression that the current code did not run the APIC's
in virtual wire mode -- correct me if I'm wrong, since I haven't paid
particular attention to that area in the last week or so; I've been
flying all over.  8-(.

That means that there is a preferred processor for taking interrupts,
specifically the BP (boot processor) and that AP's (Application
Processors) can't deal with them yet.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---