Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:24:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jonathan D. Dunfee" <jdunfee@capis.com>
To:        Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: brandnew MEGA-SITEZ Toplist - Warez, Free-XXX, Drugs

  I've used orbs myself and like it (www.orbs.org).  And I normally
stay pretty quiet on the list, but these spam's seem be increasing
in frequency. That and if one of these guys is being used as an
relay unknowningly, it seems like someone should call them as a
courtesy. We can just report them, but I know I'd like a call first
if it was my server.

Jon

Christopher Schulte writes:
 > At 01:16 PM 4/6/2001 -0500, Jonathan D. Dunfee wrote:
 > >I check and pop162-leg.mail.com is definitely relaying
 > >mail.
 >
 > I generally don't reply re: 'spam' on mailing lists, but this question is
 > valid and should be answered:
 >
 > >Is there someone who takes care of this?
 >
 > http://www.mail-abuse.org/
 >
 > RSS runs a database of open relays which are reported to them by the
 > Internet community.
 >
 > They operate a 'DNS BLACKLIST' where mail admins can add hooks into their
 > MTAs which will check every incoming smtp connection and see if RSS has
 > listed the box as an open relay.  Such messages are discarded before they
 > ever hit a user's spool.
 >
 > There are other such lists of this nature... ORBS being the biggest one
 > that I can think of.
 >
 > >Jon

This communication is for informational purposes only.  It is not
transaction, unless specifically agreed otherwise.  All market
prices, data and other information are not warranted as to
completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without
notice.  Any comments or statements made herein do not
necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Capital Institutional
Services, Inc.  Capital Institutional Services, Inc. accepts no
liability for any errors or omissions arising as a result of
transmission.  Use of this communication by other than intended
recipients is prohibited.