Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 1995 05:26:46 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Building Tree from read-only, etc.

As I stated a while back, I want to be able to have a "make world" that can
use a cd rom version of the tree, allow multiple users to work on different
versions at the same time, and NOT mess with the running system
environment. I have managed to work out a system that will allow the
parallel existance of source and object trees. I can even handle symbolic
links to directories (a "bitch").
In order to do this, I had to really "muck" with the MAKEOBJDIR env variable.
(Too many extra "shells" to suit my taste).

I see 4 possibilities.
1) Forget it! Use the status quo.  (I don't like that one)
2) Use the extra shells (Messy, slow)
3) Alter "make" to properly accept a command line argument rather than (in
addition to) the shell env variable.
4) Let people use the "cloned tree of symbolic links" approach with the
objects in the tree.

Personally, I prefer "3", but I don't know how people would feel about
alterations to "make".

"4" has the advantage that you do not need special utilities/procedures to
move parts of trees around. It also has a number of drawbacks.

Suggestions? Direction..

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net