Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:09:51 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD's strlcpy(3) and strlcat(3)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:40:17 CST, Warner Losh wrote:

> I can see your point.  I don't know if I'll like your man pages better
> or not, but I'd be willing to give them a spin.

Bring on the humble pie. It really isn't practical to try to have these
pages match the approach of the existing pages.

The best approach would be to add a description of strlcpy() to the
strcpy.3 page and a description of strlcat() to the strcat.3 page. The
differences between the new functions and those whose manpages they
should be described in make for more confusion than we save by including
them there.

So I withdraw my objection to the style of the strl*() manpages, but
only because I have nothing better to offer. ;-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.