Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 01:46:03 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   New ports searching utility

As a first real programming exercise in perl(1) I wrote a program,
called ``sp'', to allow a more selective search of the ports
collection. With the number of ports now at ~3500 the number of
hits using ``make search'' is often excessive due to its' simplistic
"all fields" searching method.

It can use all the perl(1)'s regular expressions for pattern matching
and you can specify what to search for in each field of the ports
records, so you can do things like:

    sp -x '(textproc|print|www)' -m '(nik|jim)' -r tidy

to find all ports in the textproc, print, and www categories that are
maintained by Nik Clayton or Jim Mock and have a run dependency on
tidy(1). It also tells you how many matching ports it found.

If you want to give it a try I put a tarball containing the program
and the manpage at:

ftp://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/pub/mark/sp/sp.tgz

Extract it in a temp directory and copy the program, sp, to
/usr/local/bin and the manpage to /usr/share/man/man1.

--
        Want a lean, mean, computing machine?
	Get rid of that FAT - install FreeBSD