Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2000 16:00:03 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=E9mi_Guyomarch?= <rguyom@mail.dotcom.fr>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Subject:   Re: TCP performance problems, Linux faster than FreeBSD ?

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 04:16:38PM -0600, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 07:33:17PM +0100, Rémi Guyomarch wrote:
> > So, Linux use the time of the last non-acked packet as a starting
> > point for the 200ms timer, but *BSD stacks use a fixed 'clock'.
> > This is completely different !
> >
> > I put an ugly hack in sys/netinet/tcp_timer.c to try to fix the
> > problem. And now I'm getting **way** less duplicate packets.
>
> Hm, yes.  That's the way it works -- BSD uses a fixed clock
> with a maximum delay of 200ms and a statistical average of 100ms.
>
> You may want to try upgrading to 4.0 (about to be released shortly).
> Not only does it change the timer behavior to a per-packet (instead
> of global basis) but it allows you to tweak the delayed-ACK time
> via sysctl.  E.g.:
>
> 	net.inet.tcp.delacktime: 100

I (mostly) finished the upgrade to -current. And I'm happy to thank you for
this idea, it works much better now ! :-)
Here's the results I'm getting with various delacktime settings :

100ms -> 48% dups, 4.39 KB/s
200ms ->  6% dups, 6.18 KB/s
250ms ->  3% dups, 6.88 KB/s  <-- :-)
300ms -> 13% dups, 4.80 KB/s