Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:30:47 -0500
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, "Michael J. Turner" <mike@inethouston.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster PCI 128

On Monday 30 April 2001 11:05 pm, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> Yes, and after I do, snd0 doesn't exist still.  dsp however does, isn't
> dsp what pcm uses?  I'm loading snd_es137x

# mixer 100:100
# cat /kernel > /dev/dsp

Honestly, I simply put the line

device    pcm

into my KERNCONF file and don't even know how to load kernel modules.  My
system even has an on-the-motherboard via-686a sound chip and it works
perfectly - well, almost.

Looking at your dmesg output again, it seems that you have to insert
another module for the ac97 codec.  Your best bet, build a kernel which
supports sound.