Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 19:16:41 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, root@io.cts.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, langfod@maui.com
Subject:   Re: Major problem with IDE hard drive and current

>> It is probably a drive problem.  What drives do both of you have?

>I suppose.  But why would these same drives not have the problem in
>previous versions of FreeBSD (going back to 2.0 for me)?

Because the cdrom code changed the test.

>You know, I recall the boot display showing the name of the hard
>drives before, so I was just going to suck in the relevant output from
>dmesg.  And lo:

>wdreset: du->dk_status: 0x52
>wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff on isa
>wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <>
>wd0: size unknown, using BIOS values

This shows that the WDCC_READP command failed.  It shouldn't fail for
any standard IDE drive, especially a modern one that supports all those
flags.

>The drives are both Conners, but I'm not sure of the exact model
>number (without resorting to opening the case ... only if you insist.)

It's probably not important.  But please find out why WDCC_READP is
failing.  (Call wderror() in wdgetctlr().  The only normal error is
"abort" which means that the drive doesn't support the command.)

Bruce