Subject:   Re: git: 0668752 Revert "Framework: Introduce bsd.sponsor.mk"

Jun 25, 2024, 07:39 by freebsd@omnilan.de:

>> Revert "Framework: Introduce bsd.sponsor.mk"
>>
>> This reverts commit 274cd4df4dcce0a9aa78da47bb6e35ab3dbcbf8c
>>

> See also: > https://reviews.freebsd.org/D44487
>
> >=C2=A0 In D44487#1014651, @mat wrote:
>

> >>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 but we want users to s=
top using ports and use packagesPiotr Kubaj <pkubaj_at_anongoth.pl> wrote o=

r the hat of portmgr@ during the recent years.
> There are plenty of Linux distributions doing it 'right' and making it ea=
sy for 'the users'.
> Please stop forcing FreeBSD into that direction - you will loose those 'u=
sers' able and willing to dig deeper and improve/fix/extend software.

> There are portmgr@ people deleting foreign ports for no reason and now _y=
ou_ decide that Gleb's bsd.sponsor.mk needs approval - Approval from people=
 who destroy one of the key principals of FreeBSD.
gr@ to continue dismantling FreeBSD from the inner.

> To return to the topic:
> I liked the idea very much.
> It is very important that skilled people are supported by their employer =
to work on OpenSource projects, which directly or indirectly involves FreeB=
SD.
> Naming sponsors might attract more skilled people - not those looking for=
 arbitrary company paying them their bills, but those enthusiasts and smart=
 ones, who have chosen FreeBSD instead of any fancy Linux distribution, bec=
ause on FreeBSD it's much easier to participate or add customization in a s=
ensible and fertile manner.
> ports/ was and still is a very important entrance. FreeBSD will decay if =
it only has consumers! (and if ports/ is continued to be made distracting u=
sers)
> If there are only paid people left to do the work, FreeBSD won't improve,=
 simply because there will be much less creative, fresh and individual idea=
s! This especially would harm FreeBSD since it hasn't billions to spend jus=
t add human resources by try'n'error.
> (Look at any commercial software product after 10 years evolution with pa=
id people - now name ONE, which is better today than it was 10 years ago. B=
etter for the customer/user, not for the vendor! As time goes by, the advan=
tage relation will turn imho, but that's another topic)

> Naming sponsors imho improves the willingness of employers trying out act=
ive OpenSource partnerships and allowing their employees to spend time not =
only on CONSUMING OpenSource, but on participating. This can be for mutual =
benefit. OpenSource doesn't work with consumers only, and supplier resource=
s aren't available for free!
> Sponsorship naming was always an appreciated additional meta info.
>
> If you need time to lift this to be beneficial for packages too, take you=
r time, but don't remove it just because _you_ or portmgr@ as a whole want =
users to force using packages. Please stop dictating FreeBSD users!

Thanks for sending this to the list, Harry!

There's a few points I'd like to cover.

1. The commit was reverted:

It looks like the commit hadn't been approved, so I can understand it being=
 reverted on those grounds.

2. The feature should be landed.

I tend to agree with this. It seems nice. I can also see why you'd want spo=
nsorship info to end up in packages as well. Ideally, it should be in ports=
 and packages. I don't know if this would in any way negatively impact also=
 deploying it for packages.

3. Statement about moving users away from ports to packages.

I can understand wanting to have ports features available in packages, wher=
e possible, but the statement that "we want users to stop using ports and u=
se packages" does not come off well. I love the duality of the system. I ca=
n throw some packages on quickly, or I can compile from ports. I feel like =
good ports make for good packages, and if ports suffer the build process is=
 questionable.

4. Long term sentiment about ports/package-related decision making:

I don't know much about this, so I can't comment here. I have seen more tha=
n a few disgruntled posts of a similar nature, though.

-Henrich