Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2017 12:20:49 +0530
From:      Aijaz Baig <aijazbaig1@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Debugging KLD -- cannot access memory at 'address'

Hello.

I am unable to get quite a 'handle' on debugging KLDs. I have compiled my
modules with the DEBUG_FLAGS set to -g3 and have also installed it using
the same flags so that /boot/kernel/ contains not only the module binary
(kernel object) but also the symbol file.

So I do a

make DEBUG_FLAGS=-g3
make install DEBUG_FLAGS=-g3

under the directory containing the KLD which ultimately copies the binary
as well as the symbol file.

After connecting kgdb to the remote (debugged) machine, I load my module
which automatically asks me if I need to load the symbols from the symbol
file, to which I click yes

sudo kgdb kernel.debug
(kgdb) set remotebaud 9600
(kgdb) target remote /dev/cuau0
Remote debugging using /dev/cuau0
kdb_sysctl_enter (oidp=<value optimized out>, arg1=<value optimized out>,
arg2=0xfffffe001e3397f0,
    req=<value optimized out>) at /usr/src/sys/kern/subr_kdb.c:446
446                     kdb_why = KDB_WHY_UNSET;
Current language:  auto; currently minimal

(kgdb) kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    8 0x80200000 17e10c8  kernel
 2    1 0x819e2000 4cf0     vmxnet.ko
 3    1 0x81c11000 23dc     vmmemctl.ko
 4    1 0x81c14000 47a      echo.ko

(kgdb) add-kld /boot/kernel/echo.ko
add symbol table from file "/boot/kernel/echo.ko.symbols" at
        .text_addr = 0xffffffff81c14000
        set_modmetadata_set_addr = 0xffffffff81c14228
        set_sysinit_set_addr = 0xffffffff81c14238
        .rodata.str1.1_addr = 0xffffffff81c14240
        .data_addr = 0xffffffff81c142f8
        .bss_addr = 0xffffffff81c14420
(y or n) y
Reading symbols from /boot/kernel/echo.ko.symbols...
location expression too complex...done.

(kgdb) b echo_write
Breakpoint 1 at 0xffffffff81c14161: file echo.c, line 89.

(kgdb) getsyms
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    8 0x80200000 17e10c8  kernel
 2    1 0x819e2000 4cf0     vmxnet.ko
 3    1 0x81c11000 23dc     vmmemctl.ko
 4    1 0x81c14000 47a      echo.ko
Select the list above with the mouse, paste into the screen
and then press ^D.  Yes, this is annoying.
 1    8 0x80200000 17e10c8  kernel
 2    1 0x819e2000 4cf0     vmxnet.ko
 3    1 0x81c11000 23dc     vmmemctl.ko
 4    1 0x81c14000 47a      echo.ko
(kgdb) n
95                  strlen += MIN(uio->uio_iov->iov_len, bufferspace-1);
(kgdb) x/d strlen
Cannot access memory at address 0x0

(kgdb) info locals
strlen = Cannot access memory at address 0x0

I am unable to fathom what am I missing. Keen to hear

--

Best Regards,
Aijaz Baig