Date:      Sun, 12 Feb 1995 17:13:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      billlee@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help!

On Sun, 12 Feb 1995, it was written:

> I downloaded FreeBSD 2.0 from FTP.CDROM.COM and installed the following:
> BINDIST, PROFILES, DICT, MANPAGES
> I want start to learn UNIX and I was told FreeBSD was what I needed to start.
> Problem is I don't know anything about this operating system. I just know how
> to do a 'CD' and a 'LS'. So my question for you is this "How do I get to the
> online manpages I installed?" I don't know how to find or view them. Will they
> tell me enough to understand how to use UNIX? If not is there anyone place on
> INTERNET which I can get documents to help learn UNIX? Otherwise is there a
> book I can purchase at a book store that you would recommend? I've got thiss
> operating system and I don't even know what to do with it? Please help.
> Scott Sumner,

Can you issue the command:
   man ls
for example, to display the page for ls?  If you can, then you should be
able access any of the man pages.

However, the man pages are not a suitable way to learn UNIX.  You need a
tutorial.  I've got a good start on "UNIX Unleashed" by Sams Publishing
1994, ISBN 0-672-30402-3 and so far it's very good.  I chose it because
it has tutorials for both the user and the system administrator.  I am
discovering that learning UNIX is a serious undertaking and that I will
need to be patient and persistant to do so.  However, so far it's not
difficult if I take it a little at a time.

If you can't access the man pages just by issuing the man command, then your
installation of them is incomplete.  My recent install from CD-ROM did
this for me automatically, a good thing because I wouldn't have known how
to do it manually.  (Maybe the readme and install files would have
helped.  Did you get these with the files you FTPed?)  I hope someone
more knowledgeable will help you if needed.

Best wishes.

Bill Lee   E-mail: billlee@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
           Edmonton, Alberta, Canada